[linux-audio-dev] Buffer size settings - Mac/Windows

Michael Ost most at museresearch.com
Fri Jun 11 03:52:12 UTC 2004

Hi.

Does anyone out there know what the audio buffer size settings in
Windows and MacOS really mean? If you say "128 samples" does that
translate to 2 buffers of 128 samples --- one buffer playing, one buffer
filling --- or 2 buffers of 64 samples? Is it 256 samples of latency or
128?

I realize this isn't _exactly_ a Linux audio question, but perhaps
someone out there knows something about this. We're trying to get an
apples to apples comparison of our Linux/ALSA based system with a
Windows/MacOS system.

We set the ALSA driver to 2x128 and we get results that jibe more with
the 256 setting in Windows.

But when we hooked a Windows system up to a scope it looked more like
the 128 sample setting was running 2x64 samples. So... we're confused.

Any pearls of wisdom out there? ... mo

Michael Ost, Software Architect
Muse Research, Inc.
most at museresearch.com