[linux-audio-dev] Knobs, the reply

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Fri Jun 11 05:07:46 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 00:54, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:42:42PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > Speaking of touchpads, does anyone know of a (usb) touchpad that works
> > with your finger, not just a pen?  (The only ones I've seen just work
> > with the stylus, which is no good)
>
> I'm guessing you mean a big one, like 15 or 20 cm on a side?
> I've never seen one that big that wasn't a pen-controlled art thingie.
>
> ... on the other hand, google finds everything... check this out,
> not cheap but looks very interesting and they seem to be linux-friendly!
> http://www.fingerworks.com/igesture.html

Yeah, that's the only one I could find.  All those stupid features make
it expensive as heck, I just want two axis and that's it!  It's a
descent size though, maybe I should bite the bullet.

It says it just emulates a USB mouse despite all the crazy extra
features, so hacking out some software to MIDI-ize it shouldn't be too
hard at all.

> Currently I use a Fellowes (nee Cirque) touchpad as my primary mouse.
> It's a bit bigger than a laptop touchpad, but not by much.
> Like this one:
> http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Section_Id=1795&Product_Id=813772&Product_Name=FELLOWES+99841+Internet+Glidepoint+Touchpad

Yeah, that is small.  On the other hand, it's also incredibly cheap.  I
don't think something that size would even be precise enough for
controlling filter cutoff though..

Could always buy 10 and build a nice little finger drum kit! :)

-DR-