[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Fri Jun 11 08:42:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:17:52PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 07:15:56 +0200, Tim Orford wrote:
> > > And no, linux audio is definitely not perfectly unusable for me.
> > > Quite the contrary; pd, supercollider, snd, ladspa, alsa, jack and the
> > > very low-latish kernel make it to be a very usable platform for creative
> > > work you can't do in other OS's.
> >
> > i would seriously be interested to know what those things are..
>
> I did a gig last year, where I used a midi floor controller that ran shell
> scripts which (un)made connections in a jack graph (and some other
> stuff). I'd like to know what other OSs let you do that :)

ok, tell us what you were actually trying to acheive by this and
i'll tell you how you can do it on Doze. Obviously the solution
on another platform is not going to involve jack:-) Anyway i
agree, jack has great potential, and is probably the no.1 acheivement
that has come out of linux audio.

i dont mean to be aggressive, i'm just really intrigued to
know how people get any music done. There is never any talk on
this list or LAU about real software usage or workflows etc.

for most people its not enough just to be able to do something,
it has to be doable without impacting productivity or creativity.

my personal experience is this: Music production is now an
integrated process where the synthesis, composition, programming,
recording, arrangement, and mixing of music overlap and everything
is editable at all stages. I guess i'm biased by my own desires and
studio experiences, but i do beleive this is what the majority of
people want.

such a system is not acheivable by bedroom hackers, it requires
some cooperation and organisation. Currently all we have are
the supporting peripherals (synths, editors, fx).

is there really noone here who is seriously interested in this?

--
Tim Orford