[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Jun 11 09:47:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:05:36 +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> While choice is in fact a reason for me to use Linux, there's the problem
> that choice is mostly limited to incomplete/patchwork solutions (but in the
> proprietary software world there are similiar and some other problems).

Right, its not like protools has the same look+feel as logic, and with
good reason. Just like ardour doesnt have the same look+feel as
rosegarden.

> I understand the hobby/freetime/volunteer aspect, it's not different for me,
> only as a designer I need to have programmers cooperation/support.
>
> I understand that programmers like to have free choice of language, libraries
> and toolkits (even though it's painful to see reinvention of the wheel all the
> time).

Thats the programmers problem :) If you provide the graphics in a general,
and usable way (ideally with 'source'), its thier problem how they get them
to work in thier preferred UI toolkit.

- Steve