[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Fri Jun 11 11:39:46 UTC 2004

On Friday 11 Jun 2004 11:39 am, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> There seems to be a belief that computers and software would
> eleminate the need for education and training, that sitting at a
> DAW turns you instantly into a sound engineer, and clicking the
> mouse on soft synth makes you a qualified musician. This is a
> complete fallacy, and IMHO just one manifestation of the global
> dumbing-down exercise that's happening all around us, and that is
> driven by those who make money out of it.
> [...]
> I play keyboards, and I'd love to be able to play string or wind
> instruments as well. Unfortunately, these are fundamentally
> different, and it would take years of training and exercise.

While I think you're right about this over-optimistic marketing of
creative software, I think you should beware of excusing poor
usability on the basis that what the software does is complex.  Real
instruments typically have a technique that's difficult to approach
at all, as well as being hard to make really good music with:
software is also hard to make really good music with, but that's not
an excuse for allowing it to be difficult to approach at all.
There's nothing in your metaphor that would excuse, for example,
making your file selector hard to use or your sliders work
differently from everyone else's.

I find analogies along the lines of "violins are hard to learn, so
it's reasonable for software be hard to learn too" or "cars need
training to drive, so why do you expect to use software without even
reading the manual?" troubling.  (Actually I find analogies between
software and cars troubling altogether, but don't get me started on
that.)  An advantage of software over violins is that software is
generally open to improvements in usability without altering its real
function, while a violin is not.

If software was as hard to use today as it was forty years ago,
obviously few people would consider making music with it at all; I
simply don't believe that you can disassociate usability and
creativity completely.

(I think there are arguments for making things hard to use and learn
that I could find quite compelling.  A comparison with real-world
objects doesn't seem enough, though.)

Chris