[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Fri Jun 11 15:17:17 UTC 2004

Paul:

> <paul returns from a week away>
> % f +gtk-in
> % rmm cur-last
> % f +gtkmm-in
> % rmm cur-last
> % f +new
> % rmm `pick -from wine-devel`
> % rmm `pick -from xdg-list`
> and then i can put all those commands in script and next time just do:
> % clean-mail
>that's what i call a mail client.

And this is exactly what explains the clutter in ardour UI. Sorry Paul,
but this is your way of handling email. My way of choosing and using
email clients(and other apps) is simply driven by the same needs most
users have. To read, write and manage email easily.
I just want to fetch my emails, click twice to respond to them,
perhaps...hmm backup my mboxes so that i can import them next time with
two other clicks? The only advanced feature i'm using is filters
perhaps. And that's just setting up a filter so that i don't care next
time, and it's damn easy in evolution. One thing you might all consider
as stupid. I need it black on white to concentrate. And 19th century
ncurses is driving me crazy.

And yes, i'm using linux audio, using gentoo, compiling packages from
sources, running jack, configuring all that stuff etc etc.

Fons:

> There seems to be a belief that computers and software would eleminate
> the
> need for education and training, that sitting at a DAW turns you
> instantly
> into a sound engineer,

But knowing the features of a DAW isn't *at *all* the only thing you
need to know in *order* to be a sound engineer. And the less it takes up
the better for the rest of the things a sound engineer has to *know* in
order to be a good sound engineer.

> and clicking the mouse on soft synth makes you > a qualified musician.

It *never* did, *even* with *tons* of perfect win/mac software. All
tools there only.

> This is a complete fallacy, and IMHO just one
> manifestation of the global dumbing-down exercise that's happening all
> around us, and that is driven by those who make money out of it.

So you call not removing disturbing non-efficient and stupid UI designs
which make your life harder and all that  -- fallacy and dumbing-down??

:)

Certain things i just don't get into my head and probably never will:

* Why do some people here believe that centralising information,
encouraging standards and trying to make some "proprietary/pro"-grade
oss software is going to take your freedom of choice?

Suppose we have say 6 different applications (DAW, drummachine, sampler,
you name it)that perfecly compete with proprietary world. Does *that*
take the freedom of choice?
Does encouraging of toolkits(we've got two major ones) take your
freedom? Did jack take your freedom to make your own audio server?
No.
Why?
Two words - *Open* *Source*

The only thing that's going to happen is that *most* users will use
those 6 applications in a (what people tend to call here) dumb
environment. And those users haven't even arrived here yet. Because they
are the *real* non-technical users.

The rest can fiddle around with configurations and code as much as they
can. Not(!) so in win32 and to some extent also on mac.
Can you tweak evolution code-wise? sure you can. Can you just go ahead
with your own client? sure you can. Can you pick your favorite toolkit
or make your own? Sure you can.

But why do i have to install 280+ toolkits in order to use linux audio?

Last note - i might be a dick, but i'm honest.

Marek