[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Tim Orford tim at orford.org
Fri Jun 11 13:16:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 08:37:09AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> you cannot modify the graph in JACK while the graph is being used to
> process audio. you do not know how long the graph modification will
> take if you try to do it (for example) right after you're done with
> one process cycle. the only sure way to do this is to use lock free
> parallel programming techniques. this is still a highly experimental
> area of computer science, and i have yet to see more than a glimmer of
> a technique that would actually work in a complex real time system
> like JACK. the designs that exist to date tend to work better (if at
> all) in situations where the software objects do not have much
> "weight" to them. the JACK graph describes quite a resource-heavy
> state (shared memory, device driver handles, processes, etc. etc.),
> and making a copy of it so that you modify it and then switch pointers
> is not a practical approach.

sorry, it wasnt my intention to be critical of Jack here. I think
the current behaviour is a perfectly satisfactory compromise for the
time being.

my intention was to point out that Steves bash script could easily
be improved by other methods. An of course Steves method is absolutely
fine for Steve in his particular scenario:-)

--
Tim Orford