[linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Marek Peteraj marpet at naex.sk
Fri Jun 11 17:08:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 16:33, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 06:25:28PM +0200, Marek Peteraj wrote:

> > > Marek, your comments on the logic and consistency of the Ardour
> > > GUI were IMHO justifed, and I'm probably not the only one who
> > > appreciated your contribution in that case.
> > >
> > > But what you write above is for me beyond the linmits of acceptable
> > > behaviour on any public forum.
>
> > Sorry Fons, but define acceptable! Please!
>
> I will define as non-acceptable the implication:
>
>    Paul uses a text based mail client
>    =>
>    this explains why his GUI designs are cluttered.
>
> It would be acceptable and in this context even funny with a :-),
> but I didn't see that.

"And this is exactly what explains the clutter in ardour UI. :)"

Does it sound better? 100% sarcasm IMNSVHO.

I was at least trying to be 100% serious.

The point i was trying to make is:

There are developers were born to design great technologies and make
them better. And there are developers or even non-developers which were
born to make & design UIs which people would love to use.

Paul falls into the first category. But i have a strong feeling that he
thinks he falls into both categories.

Web design, marketing speech, UI design, documentation, developing a
monster application and being competitive with proprietary counterparts.
You just can't do it all.

> > just as you are describing my opinions as fallacy and "dumb-down".
>
> I did describe as a fallacy the opinion that 'sitting at a DAW turns
> someone into a sound engineer'. AFAIK, that's not your opinion, nor
> did I imply it was.
>
> I used the term 'dumb down' without in any way referring to yourself
> or your expressed opinions.

Are you seriously sure? We're in the marketing hype thread which i've
started. ;)

Marek