[linux-audio-dev] Re: Knobs / widget design

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Fri Jun 11 18:27:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 09:10:58PM +0300, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> Horizontal motion is better than vertical. Try it! I can move
> the pointer horizontally 1000 pixels easily without moving
> my hand -- I just rotate hand and skew fingers, fast. For vertical
> motion I have to slide the whole arm on the table -- feels bad
> and is slow.

Well, personaly I can cover half the screen verticaly out of my
fingers. It's easier to not follow a bow, and I think there is
a little more precision.
For covering larger vertical distances movement out from shoulder
is required, but that's not necessarily a problem.

I think the knobs ar more or less dead regarding the discussion.
And for sliders connected to values like volume I prefer
vertical orientation, because it gives a better sense of value
(I might opt for horizontal still, when it works better for layout).

But of course I would like to hear how others feel about this.

---
Thorsten Wilms