[linux-audio-dev] Knobs, the reply

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Fri Jun 11 19:00:15 UTC 2004

Steve Harris wrote:

>>Hello?  See my previous post re: mouse wheel.  There is a *perfect*
>>mapping between a knob and the
>>mouse wheel, much more straightforward than for any other hardware control.
>>

>Its not really "perfect" the mouse wheel is vertical and they often have
>big steps, plus they give me twinges.

OK, perfect is too strong a word, but it is 1:1.

As far as having  big steps, just make one click-turn (for lack of a
better term) equal to whatever the resolution
of your control is.

If you needed less sensitivity (say for a DJ crossfader versus a master
gain) you could make it velocity-sensitive
or implement acceleration or whatever.  The possibilities are endless...

Lee