[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] New releases of Aeolus and Jaaa

Jesse Chappell jesse at essej.net
Tue Jun 15 20:52:48 UTC 2004

Fons Adriaensen wrote on Tue, 15-Jun-2004:

 > The file $AEOLUS_DIR/aeolusrc' must be writeable for [Save] to work.
 > This is one reason to put the stops directory in the user's home
 > dir, and not in one of the standard lib directories.

You might consider using ~/.aeolus/rc or something of the sort
for the writing of user configuration instead of AEOLUS_DIR.

You also might consider not relying only upon the envvar, but
building in some system-wide paths (at configure/build time) to
search for stops if AEOLUS_DIR is not specified.

Both of these things could help long-term usability, IMO.

Also, what are your thoughts about disk caching the generated waveforms
that is done at startup?  These could be written into the ~/.aeolus/
dir based on whatever settings (samplerate, etc) and loaded instead
of always re-generating them.  I haven't looked at the internals,
so if there is some fundamental thing preventing that, ok.  I
just want to instantly *play* it, you know?  :)

jlc