[linux-audio-dev] Knobs, the reply

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Sat Jun 19 18:41:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 12:31, Lance Blisters wrote:
> > yeah but how?
> > i think you'd have to treat them as something other than normal
> > mice for X, afaik it only allows one pointer at a time -
> > i.e. multiple mice works fine but they all just control the same
> > pointer.
>
> program against EVDEV, simple input event layer presents events
> as byte triplets.
>
> modprobe -ra keydev mousedev;
> modprobe -a evdev
> cat /dev/input/event* > my_app
>
> this is how GDAM supports USB touchpads, joysticks,
> keyboards, pen tablets, powermate big knob, etc.   A USB mini
> keyboard, 120+ temporary on buttons for $12, is by far the cheapest
> control device.  Treating it as a dedicated device with direct
> app support (as opposed to normal keyboard operating hotkeys)
> lets the controls stay the same regardless of window focus.
>
> But touchpads generally don't support pressure, so it doesn't
> seem to offer anything for drum triggering other than "zero
> travel time" vs. a keyboard.
>
>   -geoff

Zero travel time is pretty important.. keyboard drumming is horribly
impractical, it just isn't accurate.

But I was just kidding about the touch pad drum kit anyway.  I have an
Akai MPD-16 so it's a non-issue.  You poor guys without any nifty
hardware can deal with ghetto drum input solutions. :)

-DR-