[linux-audio-dev] Spinboxes

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sun Jun 20 16:16:54 UTC 2004

Hi!

The usual spinboxes with their tiny up/down arrow buttons
made me think about an alternative.
Since using more height than a textfield has would make
layout very troublesome, my solution is placing the
buttons horizontaly.

http://wrstud.urz.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/forum/04-06-20_spinbox_set_02.png

I think the variations with arrows are less pleasant to
look at. Using - and + also avoids confusion with option
menus. But I would like to hear everyone's opinion on that.

I don't know if showing the value as bar in the background
is a good idea in the end, because it might be confusing (?)

The right ones show highlighting (and the usual cursor
change) on mouse-over.

Mousewheel should work on mouse-over (no clicking required)
just like is the case with GTK+ spinboxes (can't test other
toolkits now).
The minus key should be reserved for entering the minus sign.
Middle mouse button should be reserved for paste, right one
for context menu (besides copy/paste it could contain
max, min and 50% commands).

So only clicks with modifier keys are left.
I would propose Ctrl leftclick on -/+ buttons for larger
steps.

---
Thorsten Wilms