[linux-audio-dev] Re: Draft position statement of AGNULA on ALSA firmware

Georg C. F. Greve greve at fsfeurope.org
Sat Jun 12 18:37:08 UTC 2004

 || On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:08:36 +0200
 || Andrea Glorioso <andrea.glorioso at agnula.org> wrote:

 ag> [...]

 ag> After the end of the funded lifetime, AGNULA has become a
 ag> (mostly) volunteer project; however, FSFE has registered the
 ag> "AGNULA" trademark and allows it to be used only by projects
 ag> which fulfill the general goal of supporting Free Software, from
 ag> both the technical and the philosophical points of view.

 ag> Current AGNULA volunteers have, of course, no problem with FSFE
 ag> registering the trademark - on the contrary, we feel this is a
 ag> useful strategy to avoid our work being misused.

This doesn't sound very convinced to me, I have to say.

People could conclude from it that the FSFE somehow forced the AGNULA
project into the "remaining free" stance and the volunteers have no
problem with it at the moment.

Alternative wording might be:

 After European Commission funding has ended, AGNULA is now mostly
 a volunteer driven effort again. In order to protect that effort from
 appropriation by proprietary software, the FSFE has registered the
 "AGNULA" trademark and released a license for it that allows it to be
 used freely and without charge for any purpose except endorsement of
 proprietary software.

Regards,
Georg

--