[linux-audio-dev] Audio over Ethernet / Livewire

chriswareham at chriswareham.demon.co.uk chriswareham at chriswareham.demon.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 11:37:49 UTC 2004

fvdpol at coil.demon.nl wrote:

> While surfing the web I came across an interesting paper regarding Audio
> over Ethernet in low-latency low-jitter professional studio environments.
> I don't know to what extent the proposed scheme is open or patented or
> whatsoever.
>
> http://www.telos-systems.com/techtalk/ethernet4audio/NAB03_CHURCH_FINAL_2.pdf

Wasn't there also a proposal for MIDI over ethernet? It would be
quite a neat idea for a totally software based studio - have the
sequencer on one machine, while softsynths, samplers and whatever
else could be spread across more powerfull machines. If such an
interface could be seen at the userland level just like any other
MIDI device, support would be seamless.

Chris