[linux-audio-dev] Audio over Ethernet / Livewire

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Tue Jun 22 13:09:13 UTC 2004

> Plus considering that midi over jack is being implemented too you would
> have both midi and audio over ethernet
> through jack, available to any jack client without the application
> needing to be changed.
That would be convenient, yes. But at the implementation level there is
quite a bit of difference between MIDI traffic and audio traffic. MIDI
is much less forgiving of errors, or much more if you know which errors
to make. You can do a lot of smart things when doing MIDI over a network
that you can't do with audio, a la MWPP or whatever it's called now.

That said, if you've got the bandwidth and latency issues worked out for
audio, MIDI should be a piece of cake and you may not need to worry
about the smart things you can do with it.

FWIW, I've implemented basic MIDI over TCP/IP at [1], which is loosely
based on MWPP and needs some TLC, but already outperforms aseqnet.

1. http://hans.fugal.net/music/nmidi-0.1.0.tar.gz