[linux-audio-dev] Re: Audio over Ethernet / Livewire

John Lazzaro lazzaro at eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Jun 23 18:31:40 UTC 2004

> From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio over Ethernet / Livewire
>
> [...]  RTP-MIDI [...]

Thanks, Steve.

A lot of work has gone into RTP MIDI, to get consensus across
a wide range of interests -- the IETF, MPEG, the MMA, and the
computer music community.  I should note we're not there yet
(i.e. we haven't started the vetting process that ends, if successful,
in RFCs) , but we're getting ever closer to Last Call (the start of the
process).  The most recent documents are here:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/pubs/txt/current-rtp-midi.txt
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/pubs/txt/current-guide.txt

Also note that the RTP-MIDI network stack in sfront:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/index.html

has been re-licensed under the BSD license, the stack
resides in sfront/src/lib/nsys/.  I also have the stack in a
tar file that only contains BSD-licensed files -- let me know
if you need a copy and I'll send it along.  The stack is more
for reading than for using -- I think the best RTP MIDI
implementations will start with a clean slate.

---
John Lazzaro
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu
---