[linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design (radial movement)

Pete Bessman ninjadroid at gazuga.net
Fri Jun 25 22:15:24 UTC 2004

At Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:00:42 +0200,
Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 06:54:20PM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
>
> > Requiring the user to read documentation to learn about
> > functionality he would not even expect is not an option.
>
> Have education levels gone down *that* far ?

WTF?  Dude, that is messed up.

"Clearly these are inferior organisms.  They demand that the volume
knob be usable without first consulting a manual!  I shall now program
PD to kick them in their mongoloid crotches."

Dave Griffiths said something above about "hiding functionality for
the users to find."  That, to, is just wrong.  This isn't a videogame
or Where's Waldo.  Not that I have anything against easter eggs, but I
don't think basic functionality should be hidden a priori.

I have a very simple request for everybody who loathes
"plug-and-drool" usability: show me the tunes.  That's all.  Lemme
hear the avant garde music enabled by avant garde interfaces so that I
can compare it against the mouth-breathing crow-magnon music created
with shiny-quarter interfaces.  I'm sure the results will speak for
themselves.

-Pete