[linux-audio-dev] Knobs / widget design (radial movement)

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Sat Jun 26 07:58:19 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 11:09:06PM +0200, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> > You again.
>
> Yes, me. I was told by some members of this list only a few days
> ago that sarcasm was OK.

Where did I say I would have problems with sarcasm?
But the use of sarcasm doesn't make your comment any bit
more insightful.

The 'You again' refers to your strange elitism and the
discussion we had.

With regards to widgets, I stated that requiring the user
to read documetation in order to use a widget is not an
option. It was especialy about visualizing / hinting at
functionality. The fan-sliders without the fan graphics would
give no hint at their special behaviour at all. The user
doesn't see anything of it, can hardly expect there's
something hidden, has no reason to even look at documentation.

I wonder how anyone could argue with that.

> If there *is* some documentation, I see no good reason why it
> shouldn't be read. Unless the user thinks of himself that he's
> so bright that he will understand everything instantly. Educated
> people usually are a bit more modest, and don't mind some effort
> in order to learn something.

What would be so bad about an app providing such good usability
that users of average brightness can understand everything (not
necessarily instantly, but still in short time by themselves)?

Educate people like to spend some time reading documentation
instead of using stuff right away?

---
Thorsten Wilms