[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] First public release of Lindrum v 0.5.1

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Mon Mar 1 19:24:55 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 13:24, Tim Hockin wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 12:55:14PM -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 07:07, guenter geiger wrote:
> > > Lack of collaboration is one of the weaknesses of the free software
> > > development (peculiarly enough it is considered one of its strenghts),
> > > especially with audio software.
> >
> > A weakness compared to what?  Proprietary software is /definitely/ not
> > immune to this problem (in fact, I'd say it's far worse - there's no
> > collaboration whatsoever).  Is is really a weakness of free software if
> > non-free software has the same problem?
> >
> > I don't hear people complaining about Steinberg and Emagic 'duplicating
> > effort'.
>
> How many OSS projects are aiming at similar goals?  Each one has one or two
> people on them.  If you put 5 or 6 people on one project, it would have a
> much better chance at competing with the big boys*.
>
> (*) Assuming smart people who could find a common vision. ;)

Sure, but there's always a motivation.  Sometimes the projects out there
just don't fit your needs.

Myself, for example:  to do synthesized sounds, I want to run my
keyboard controller into a virtual analog modular synth.  SSM and AMS
are basically the only options for this.

SSM isn't polyphonic, so it's out.  AMS is really awesome in a lot of
ways, but it's polyphony is all screwed up and fundamentally broken as
far as I can tell (kludge, it only works if you use the AMS builtin
envelope in a specific way).

Now AMS is going to go through a rewrite soon, and I plan on getting in
on those discussions to voice my concerns, but if the project takes a
direction different from what I need/feel is best, what am I supposed to
do?

Start my own modular, that's what.  That's how things get forked or
similar projects get started.

I mean, when it comes down to it Linux Sampler, Fluidsynth/Qsynth,
Timidity, Specimen, Hydrogen, and Lindrum are all redundant projects.
After all they're all just samplers.  Good luck making them work
together though. :)

-Dave

(PS, AMS developers:  I'm looking into the above mentioned problems
further, I'll make some test cases one of these days and post to the
list)