[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] First public release of Lindrum v 0.5.1

Peter Eschler peschler at t-online.de
Tue Mar 2 00:19:00 UTC 2004

On Monday 01 March 2004 19:53, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:24:26 -0800, Tim Hockin wrote
>
> Also large teams are not really the answer - often one or two people work
> much more effeciently due to communication overhead. I can't remember the
> stats, but you have to get to quite a large size before you get the
> advantage back (and have lots of red tape and boring procedures to follow)
>
> The answer is to have common stuff like JACK and LADSPA - this seems to
> work really well, and share out the bits that appeal to different
> developers.

Seems i started a discussion here.

Before i  comment on my motivation for writing lindrum, i want to address the
name issue. I knew of the Linndrum and i have to admire that i was somehow
inspired by it. I removed one n and this suddenly fitted to Linux. Voila!
What i didn't know is that the company is still in business. So in fact it
might be necessary to find a new name.

Surely i tried hydrogen.. and i like it. I thought about participating or
contributing, but my "vision" was somehow different. So i decided to learn
first, looked in JACK and LADSPA and wrote me a wrapper just to get known to
the APIs. It was fun and it worked.
On the the other hand i do a lot of gui programming. The dials in lindrum e.g.
where done long ago absolutely independent of lindrum.
Someday then - when i did some music on that other system, once again sitting
in front of a my favorite drum machine - i asked myself if it would be
possible to implement this machine using all this common stuff like JACK,
LADSPA ... I just tried "for fun". Someone mentioned that. And yes:  I looked
into hydrogen code. To learn. I looked into lot of little projects code. Dead
projects. To learn. And IMHO they're not useless. Maybe my project will be
dead at the end of the year. But then i made my experience and still can join
hydrogen or other projects.

CYa
PE

--
 "Without music, life would      _O_/ \_O_/ +----------------------+
  be a mistake - I would        / ))    []  | Peter Eschler        |