[linux-audio-dev] Building qarecord and alsamodularsynth

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Tue Mar 2 14:03:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 08:37, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 08:28:12AM -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
>
> > Fair enough.  ./configure etc. is without a doubt THE way to distribute
> > free software though.  Most people find it quite annoying when an app
> > doesn't follow the 'standard'.
> >
> > Users simply don't like hand-editing and copying configuration files
> > around.  At the very simplest level I don't want to edit the Makefile to
> > make AMS use my preferred CFLAGS, and know where to find QT, and install
> > to /usr. I just want to "./configure --prefix=/usr" and be done with it.
>
> On of the reasons I try to avoid automake/autoconf is that when for some
> reason it doesn't work on your system, you're lost unless you are an
> expert with those tools, and they are not the easiest ones. A cleanly
> written Makefile is a lot easier to fix in that case, and requires less
> expert knowledge.

The input files to a proper autotools-ized project are quite a bit
smaller and cleaner than a 400 line Makefile..

I agree it may be a bit more of a hassle to set things up than just
writing a Makefile (if you already just know make that is), but I tend
to look at things from a user perspective, and ./configure is just
simpler.  Don't have to do something special for every damn app out
there..

-Dave