[linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Thu Mar 4 17:28:24 UTC 2004

[Steve Harris]

>Mostly default values. RDF defaults for LADSPA predate ladspa.h default
>hints, which are a hack.
>
>> To me this is a mess. It should be perfectly possible to extend the port
>> descriptors in such a way that things like preset names, scale ticks,
>> units etc. are available from there.
>
>It would be, but its hard to keep binary compatibility and wouldnt it be
>better to just have one extensible metadata format that you can use for
>ports descriptions, scales, defaults, and presets?

it would be simple to extend LADSPA to do whatever we want while
keeping binary compatibility i think:

  #define LADSPA_PROPERTY_HARD_RT_CAPABLE 0x4

  /* if set, indicates that the Descriptor structure is version 2 or
   * above. if not set, a host must assume a version 1.x plugin.
   */
  #define LADSPA_PROPERTY_HAVE_VERSION 0x8

so at the end of the version 1 descriptor struct we can add fields
galore, starting, obviously, with a version field. of course plugins
must not rely on version 2 features if they are intended to work with
pre-version 2 hosts.

extending the port range with an arbitrary default value is then
possible by simply extending the range structure in similar fashion
(or adding a LADSPA_Data ** default_values member to the descriptor
struct, or whatever mechanism gets the votes).

what do you think?

tim