[linux-audio-dev] TAP-plugins reverb presets

Matthias Nagorni mana at suse.de
Fri Mar 5 11:21:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 02:02:10 +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> > The other thing that's missing is support for enumerated values such
> > as your presets, or for a simple n-position switch. If all the rest
> > (continuous and integer values, limits, defaults... are supported
> > in the binary image, why not also these simple things ?
>
> Because they weren't thought of at design time. There is allready
> enumerated value support in RDF. Very simple hosts do not need it.

Steve, I can not agree with any of these three sentences. My experience with
ams and real analogue synths show that _any_ synth needs named switches.
Already the first Moog modules had them. And all of my analogue synths
have some of these selectors. They are as basic and fundamental as
continuos sliders/potentiometers. If developers have not been aware of
that at design time, well then it just needs to be fixed now on the basis
of new insights ;-) So what we need is a HINT_ENUMERATION and a list of
strings for the item names. Actually LADSPA would then have the complete
controls I use for ams: continuous sliders, integer sliders, toggles and
combobox selectors. I think this is the complete set you need.

I think most people agreed that RDF should be optional. But it is not
optional if any of the above mentioned "canonical" types is missing.
Open e.g. the TAP reverb in the control center of ams. the preset
parameter will look quite messed up. Look OTOH how beautiful it looks in
the combobox selector hack I did yesterday. And we could have that by
adding just some tiny HINT to LADSPA.

Using RDF for categories is a very good example for an optional extension.
Having to use it for a control that is standard in any hardware and
software synth and audio processing gear is IMHO not appropriate.

> You cant describe enumerations as a critical core feature, because we've
> got along without them for 4 years. I'd agree that its not optimal, but I

That is surprising, but again I'd say not an argument to stick to that
mistake.

Matthias

--
Dr. Matthias Nagorni