[linux-audio-dev] +momentary, consolidated (ladspa.h.diff)

Tom Szilagyi st444 at hszk.bme.hu
Mon Mar 8 14:22:57 UTC 2004

Steve Harris wrote:

> Having thought about it some more I think this way of presenting defaults
> is fine, but I'm still not happy with the way latency or units are
> specified.
>
> If latency can't be changed programatically then lets not have it in the
> struct (few hosts can use it anyway, and they all use RDF), if it can be
> changed programatically then it should be a well-known port, as it is now
> be convention (but possibly with a different label).

Fixed latency is not a big issue because a plugin can report the maximum
latency it could ever reach, and if the actual latency is lower it can
artificially delay its output internally. But i think this is ugly,
particularly because of the fact that we already have a working setup
with the "latency" control output which allows for changing latency as
well -- and this does make sense, since latency may depend on sampling
rate in a large number of cases, and since sample rate may vary almost
an order of magnitude, i think it would be suboptimal to impose a
needless delay on the whole processing line.

As i said before, i support everything else in Tim's proposal, which is
(to me) well-thought and clean. I will adapt my reverb to make use of
the new features as soon as i have a little time (few days).

Tom