[linux-audio-dev] Possible LADSPA port path convention

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Mar 8 17:28:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 04:41:19 +0100, Dr. Matthias Nagorni wrote:
> > Something that was suggested for GMPI, and might be applicable for LADSPA
> > is a convetion where port names can be written as paths, eg for a delay
> > line you might have
> >
> > "delay/base delay (ms)"
> > "delay/feedback (%)"
> > "lfo 1/ammount (%)"
> > "lfo 1/wave"
> > "lfo 1/frequency"
> > "lfo 2/ammount (%)"
> > "lfo 2/wave"
> > "lfo 2/frequency"
> >
> > this would allow the host to group the controls logically when building
> > the UI, eg. tabbing them, and friendlier OSC reflections of plugins.
>
> Steve, you will be surprised, but the grouping information looks like meta
> data to me. I would have no objection to place this in the RDF extension.
> Recently I got a feature request for ams regarding tabbing of LADSPA
> parameters and this would indeed be a useful feature.

Yes, I am supprised ;) Though, clearly the grouping of a port is metadata,
it is intrinsicly tied to the naming: for clarity you have to remove the
group from the label before displaying (if you choose to group), so I
think you would just end up duplicating the port name exactly, so theres
no point representing it externally.

> > It would require that lexical /'s be escaped, but other than that it
> > should be transparent. Its only worth adding if hosts would implement
> > something using it though, as it would cause a bit of disruption, there
> > are about 30 exisiting ports with /'s in them.
>
> Hosts could check the LADSPA version number.

Yes, thats a good point.

In any case it was just an RFC. I'm not sure I'm in favour of this mysefl
yet :)

- Steve