[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA extension - Formal proposal.

Jan Weil Jan.Weil at web.de
Wed Mar 10 11:47:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 12:11, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:14:02 +0100, Jan Weil wrote:
> > Well, since these are _hints_ I'd suggest to just ignore
> > LADSPA_HINT_SWITCHED in this case. Otherwise a simpler minded host
> > (applyplugin) might let you use this plugin without problems while your
> > sophisticated pro app refuses to touch it.
>
> You cant ignore it because that would knock your parsing of the strings
> pool out of sync.

Quoting Fons' proposal:
     If there are any ports using LADSPA_HINT_SWITCHED, then their
     label strings follow after all port names (i.e. the port names
     remain in their normal place). In this case the range of valid
     indices is increased by the number of labels defined. The labels
     are not included in PortCount.

Label strings follow after all port names.
Why shouldn't you be able to ignore them?

Wouldn't you agree that if we come to the point where we can't ignore a
hint we have a serious problem?
Maybe we should try to remember why these bits are called hints?

Jan