[linux-audio-dev] [ann] pvoc-0.1.0, caps-0.1.11

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Wed Mar 24 10:41:25 UTC 2004

[Jens M Andreasen]

>On tis, 2004-03-23 at 23:31, Tim Goetze wrote:
>> pleased to announce the new ... [vocoder]
>>
>> there are three LADSPA units in this package (Exaggerate, Transpose,
>> Accumulate) plus a commandline utility for time compression and
>> expansion of n-channel audio data streams.
>
>I believe I understand exaggerate & transpose, but what is accumulate in
>vocoder domain?

the algorithm 'accumulates' energy from the pvoc frame bins into a
'static' pvoc frame, thus the basic effect sounds a bit like an echo
or reverberation. (in fact i think it could be made to produce a
real nice reverb tail, with a _lot_ of tweaking though.)

of course this is combined with a decay mechanism so the stored energy
doesn't stay around forever. also, for some sound effects of the
stranger kind, Accumulate can also move the stored frequency
coefficients around, resulting in constant glissando of the 'sound
tail'.

tim