[linux-audio-dev] RFC: Disposable Soft Synth Interface

Tim Goetze tim at quitte.de
Sat May 1 01:33:14 UTC 2004

[Jack O'Quin]

>Tim Goetze <tim at quitte.de> writes:
>
>> sounds fair enough, but still requires you to install X and the
>> toolkit of the plugin's choice.
>
>I must have missed something.  I thought you could send the
>configuration parameters from a command line.

you can, but you need to know what to send in the first place, i.e.
the names of configuration options and their value spaces (polyphony,
sound patch file location etc).

to obtain a useful initial configuration you'll need to configure the
plugin via the GUI it came with, or construct configuration messages
from some sort of plugin conf documentation provided instead or along
with the X interface.

i'm inclined to think that free-form docs are sufficient. it would be
nice to have a complete conf language but the effort implementing that
is likely to be huge or require yet another library or both, and maybe
not even worth it.

tim