[linux-audio-dev] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] The Linux FreeVSTi Compatibility List

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen at notam02.no
Thu May 6 12:39:37 UTC 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004, Christian Frisson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen wrote:
>
> > Very nice work. However, I think you may have misunderstood how the
> > vstserver works:
> >
> > The vstserver does actually work by setting up a bounch of processes and
> > threads, and are very very far from being single-threaded. There are no
> > limitations on how many vsti's you run simultaniously.
>
> My apologies... My dev knowledge is too low to be mentionned. Additionally,
> French people like me don't always speak English very well ,-) I've definitely
> made this thread confusion during my tests, as I tried to launch two plugins
> simultaneously, both with vsti, and had VSTserver return errors... Had just
> another go today, works perfectly! Mea culpa.

Good to hear.

> When it comes to limit the number of opened console windows, how should I define
> my paths correctly system-wide? On Fedora Core 1 - seems to be relevant in this
> case - appending "export VST_PATH=..." to the file /etc/profile and sourcing it
> afterwards does only define the path for console use. When using the launcher
> (Alt+F2) to start plugins with "vsti plugin_name", it doesn't seem to recognize
> VST_PATH.

Strange. What if you replace "vsti plugin_name" with
"export VST_PATH=... vsti plugin_name" or
"xterm -e vsti plugin_name" or
"bash -c "vsti plugin_name"" ?

> > The difference between the vstserver and the new fst-library made by
> > Torben Hohn and Paul Davies is that the fst-library runs the vst-plugin
> > in the same process, while using the vstserver-system you run the
> > vst-plugin inside a new process set up by the vstserver.
> >
> > What this means is that you get less contex-switches and therefor
> > better performance when running many (something like more than 8 according
> > to Paul) vst-plugins simultaniously using the fst-library.
>
> What kind of features are already planned for the next releases of both projects?

I need to get the vstserver to compile with wine again. I haven't
succeeded with that yet. (not without linking with pthread at least).