[linux-audio-dev] kernel 2.6.6 just out

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed May 12 13:03:27 UTC 2004

Hallo,
Jens M Andreasen hat gesagt: // Jens M Andreasen wrote:

> To clearify: I use my linuxbox almost exclusively as a realtime
> midi-synthesizer. The occasional "hick-up" is not a problem, or at least
> it is no worse than the audience stepping with high heels and
> vacuumcleaners into my patchwork ...

Well, to clarify as well: 2.6 isn't as "good" as a well patched 2.4
but it's much easier to set up. If using the realtime-lsm module you
don't even need to recompile a distribution's 2.6 kernel in many
cases, whereas this is often necessary with standard 2.4 kernels.

So I'd suggest to try 2.6.6 at first, then if you encounter problems,
you might want to go 2.4 patched for low latency and maybe
preepmtible.

> Can I get all of this? And have a realtime working ALSA too?

Should be no problem: My machine also is a general purpose machine in
the daylight and converts to a sound box at night. ;)

> To reiterate the question: SuSE 9.0 or Mandrake 10.0?

This I cannot comment. I use Debian and I don't want to switch,
because it's the best distribution of all. As is Suse, Mandrake,
Gentoo, Fedora, Slack, ...

Generally spoken: It doesn't matter at all which distribution you
choose, as long as you're comfortable with the package management and
administration tools of your distribution. Learn that, and you will be
able to set up a well working audio box with every distribution.

Ciao