[a-devel] Re: [Agnula-Developers] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Request to audio

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano nando at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Wed May 12 18:06:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 10:13, Jack O'Quin wrote:
> Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> writes:
> > IMO, the only concern about saying "it's a part of hardware" is that
> > you can redistribute the firmware while you cannot do the hardware.
> > this is the basic difference between hardware and software.
>
> Depending on how you define the term, I suppose one can freely
> "redistribute" the hardware (give or sell it to someone else).
>
> The problem is that you can't easily make a copy.  :-)

And while you can make and distribute copies of the firmware, it has
absolutely no value without the hardware it belongs to (which you have
to own somehow for the firmware to be useful).

-- Fernando