[linux-audio-dev] kernel 2.6.6 just out

iain duncan iainduncan at telus.net
Wed May 12 19:03:23 UTC 2004

> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 03:03:27PM +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > Jens M Andreasen hat gesagt: // Jens M Andreasen wrote:
>
> > > To reiterate the question: SuSE 9.0 or Mandrake 10.0?
>
> I've been using a standard SuSE 9.0 (2.4) for about six months now,
> and it performs very well for audio work. SuSE kernels normally
> have (most of) the low-latency and pre-emption patches built-in
> from the start. I don't know what SuSE did with the experimental
> 2.6 in 9.0 or the official 2.6 in 9.1.

I'd suggest checking out Gentoo. It takes longer to get your head around at
first, but after that, experimenting with different kernels is really easy.
And the gentoo packages work soooo well. Installing alsa and jack was as
simple as typing "emerge alsa" etc. Ditto for the kernels because you can
download kernel source packages for various kinds of customization including
specifically for multi-media with the low latency and pre-emp patches
applied already.

Iain