[linux-audio-dev] Gibson MaGIC

Michael Tewner tewner at jct.ac.il
Wed May 19 12:39:42 UTC 2004

I'm currently fishing around for a college senior project and was
wondering:

(1) if the Gibson MaGIC protocol has gotten anywhere in the past 2
years. I havn't seen much in the news about it.
(2) if it would be worth porting it to linux.

I think I read most of the posts on this list concerning magic. The
biggest problem seems to be implementing the network card itself; MaGIC
send 48v using standard power-over-ethernet (defined in 802.3). I'm
assuming my eepro100 will fry. Good. I can implement other hardware.

Granted, I don't have that much experience programming this kind of
stuff, but, well, for a fun final project, it might just be worth
learning.

BTW, if anyone out there has any other project suggestions for a musical
*NIX guy, they would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you very much!
   -Michael Tewner

--
Michael Tewner <tewner at jct.ac.il>