[linux-audio-dev] DSSI .so C++ problem

Peter Eschler peschler at t-online.de
Fri May 21 17:16:33 UTC 2004

Hi,

i'm currently investigating making LDrum a DSSI instrument. Therefore i made a
simple and nearly empty DSSI header to test it with the dssi_example_host.

I encountered some C++ problems but after putting the extern "C" stuff in
place, dssi_example_host recognizes and starts my empty instrument :)

So i went on and started including some LDrum headers... and that broke the
instrument :(
dssi_example_host no longer recognizes nor starts it.
After hours of digging i'm finally stuck, because of another C++ problem.
Here's what happens:

When I use my instrument code which is nearly empty and which does not include
any LDrum headers (that is: headers which include C++ code) everything works
fine.
By simply adding the following include:
#include <iostream>
the instrument is broken. It is no longer recognized. This only happens with
iostream. Other headers like string or vector work fine (since these are all
templates no library should be required, right?).

I used 'nm' to grep for unresolved symbols in my instrument .so and when
including iostream there are some strange ones popping up (ios_base).

Instrument plugin with '#include <iostream>'
> nm ldrumdssi.so | grep U
 	 U __gxx_personality_v0
         U calloc
         U free
         U malloc

Instrument plugin without '#include <iostream>'
> nm ldrumdssi.so | grep U
         U _ZNSt8ios_base4InitC1Ev
         U _ZNSt8ios_base4InitD1Ev
         U __cxa_atexit
         U __dso_handle
         U __gxx_personality_v0
         U calloc
         U free
         U malloc

Can anybody tell me what I'm missing?

Regards,
Peter Eschler

--
 "Without music, life would      _O_/ \_O_/ +----------------------+
  be a mistake - I would        / ))    []  | Peter Eschler        |