[linux-audio-dev] Syncronizing Sample Clocks [WAS: A bit of goodnews--paper now available for your viewing pleasure and/or comments]

Fred Gleason fredg at salemradiolabs.com
Fri May 28 19:49:08 UTC 2004

On Friday 28 May 2004 15:19, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> Hmm, it would be a fun project then to come up with a profiler of various
> audio cards by recording and then capturing a specific buffer of audio
> data. Then by comparing them (assuming that this drift is constant) see how
> many empty samples there are (or if the playback is slower, how many
> samples are missing), and then create a framework that allows real-time
> resampling in order to compensate for that discrepancy whenever multiple
> soundcards are being used :-D

I strongly suspect that you'd find your results to be non-repeatable.  Many
factors can subtly influence the output frequency of even crystal-locked
SRGs: ambient temperature, power supply voltage variation, even component
aging.

This issue affects many more applications than just audio.  *Any* system that
requires precise replication of clock (as, for example, most any digital
telecommunication scheme does) faces this dilemma.  In the end, some form
*locking*, slave clock to master, is needed.  A variety of methodologies,
such as PLL (phase lock loop) exist to do this, but the bottom line remains
that some sort of hardware support will be necessary.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|  I know the answer!  The answer lies within the heart of all mankind!   |
|  The answer is twelve?  I think I'm in the wrong building.              |
|                                      -- Charles Schulz                  |