[linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-devel] Firewire Audio Card Support

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Fri Nov 19 21:19:06 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 21:03 +0000, Simon Jenkins wrote:
>   Jussi Laako wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 15:16 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> >

> >>And I posted a [possibly OT] rant to that thread about how this was a
> >>waste of time and how you could REALLY make a killing with open sound
> >>hardware.
> >>

> >I've been doing hardware design and device driver development as part of
> >my day work. Designing open source hardware is possible in theory, but I
> >can't see who would pay the expenses of the development.
> >

> The expense could be spread around the participants, but yes, some
> sponsorship
> would be nice too.

Agreed, starting from scratch would be tough, unlike a software
company... But a few thousand Euros is a drop in the bucket to a company
with an existing revenue stream and some expertise in the area.  That
was why I posted that rant to LKML, in hopes that some hardware people
were reading and would do the math.

(All this talk of Euros, sometimes I feel like the only American LAD...)

> > Software and
> >hardware required to develop a proper hardware costs thousands of euros.
> >

> So some of the work would have to be done by people who can access such
> software/hardware at work.

This book is few years old but it makes the hardware DSP development
side look pretty easy:

http://www.dspguide.com/ch29.htm

Does anyone know if this kit can still be had for $179?

Lee