[linux-audio-dev] muse and /dev/rtc

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatel.be
Mon Nov 22 17:53:12 UTC 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 06:13:22PM +0100, Robert Jonsson wrote:

> Ah, good with conclusive proof.
>
> In the meantime I found out about the timer features of ALSA.
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/timer.html
>
> Unless I'm missing something (which I very well might be) it seems to work
> regardless. Perhaps it uses the HPET?
>
> It also seems to work on PPC/Linux which solves another issue. I'm in the
> middle of trying to implement it in MusE, I guess I'll see if it works.

Which leads to the following question I've been asking myself for some time:

the ALSA sequencer API seems to allow *timestamped* events - you put such
an event in a queue and it will appear at the other end at the right moment.
If this is true, and if ALSA has an high precision timer available to
implement it, why should apps like MusE bother to do the fine timing
themselves ?

--
FA