[linux-audio-dev] RME is no more

Tim Blechmann TimBlechmann at gmx.net
Thu Nov 25 20:30:47 UTC 2004

> The official statement is that there will be no support for ALSA
> (Linux) FireWire drivers from RME. In other words there will be no
> such drivers, as it is impossible to write them without tons of
> hardware and software documentation from RME. And we won't share these
> information with anyone.
since complaining about this at the rme support i got the following
response:

> FW Audio gibt es derzeit unter Alsa gar nicht. Und sehr viel von dem,
> was beim FF800 FW-technisch unter Windows geschieht, ist
> Eigenentwicklung. Wir würden also mit einem OS-ALSA-Treiber bzw. der
> dafür notwendigen Hardware-Dokumentation in mehrfacher Weise unserer
> Konkurrenz unter die Arme greifen. Bitte haben Sie Verständnis daür,
> daß das nicht in unserem Sinne sein kann. Es geht nicht um eine
> prinzipielle Abkehr von Linux.
a short translation:
currently there is no firewire audio support in alsa. a lot of the
firewire technology for windows has been their development.
it's not that they generally stop linux support...

cheers ... tim

--
mailto:TimBlechmann at gmx.de    ICQ: 96771783
http://www.mokabar.tk