[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME is no more

Uwe Koloska koloska at voiceinterconnect.de
Fri Nov 26 08:11:15 UTC 2004

CK wrote:
> I read:
>
>>for the record, i sent a mail to rme as well and got exactly the same
>>answer (in german) which i saw before here on this list.
>
> I still don't see the point, the GPL _protects_ their IP rights, if I
> was the evil corporation trying to rip off rme I could aswell rip the
> thing apart and reverse engineer the code and the protocol, might still
> be cheaper than doing the r&d work.

I think their point is another one:  There are few companies that
used firewire with all it's  potential.  RME is thinking they are
the only ones, that uses all the potential in firewire.  If the make
a ALSA solution, their competitors have the same basis (that they
think of is the best one) ...

And since firewire is a very generic protocol they may be right :-((

Is this true, that a firewire driver for one card can be used with
equal power for another card?

Uwe

--
voiceINTERconnect www.voiceinterconnect.de
... smart speech applications from germany