[linux-audio-dev] ALSA OSS Emulation and emu10k1

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Sun Nov 28 10:24:28 UTC 2004

Hi,

I was wondering, is it possible to assign /dev/dspX devices to the
secondary and tertiary PCM devices on an emu10k1?

I have a SB Live! Platinum with LiveDrive IR. The stereo out is connected
to my regular set of speakers. The surround output is connected to an
earphone headset, it's mic is connected to the mic input on my sound card.

Also, another microphone is connected to the mic/line on the LIveDrive.

Now, I use skype, which is closed source. It uses OSS devices and aoss will
not work with it. I would like to have a /dev/dspX device that records from
the mic input and plays back to the surround output, so that skype, and
skype only, will use the headset.

The headset works fine in alsa mode and alsa apps can use it perfectly well.

I tried all /dev/dspX and /dev/adspX devices, to no avail. I tries aoss
with .asoundrc modifications, no luck. I even read the driver source, but
I'm not really conversant with the structure of the driver and couldn't
find anything useful. It would take me forever to figure it out from the
source code.

Is it possible, maybe with module parameters, to make alsa do this? Would
it need a patch, if yes, does someone have one? If no, what would have to
be done where to make that work?

Melanie