[linux-audio-dev] Re: Behringer

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Tue Nov 30 23:51:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 16:32, Dave Robillard wrote:
> Ditto.  A closed driver is not fine at all.  It's worse than no driver
> at all, since it sets a /very/ dangerous precedent.  (If you don't think
> it's a dangerous precedent you just have no foresight and havn't
> actually thought about the implications at all)
>
> If you want to use proprietary drivers, go use Windows or Mac OS or
> Solaris or whatever suits you.... seriously.  Both Windows and MacOS are
> extremely superior in terms of support for Audio hardware (and
> software).  Go use them.  The solitary reason to use Linux you clearly
> don't care about so... why use it?  It just doesn't make sense.
>
> I'd rather not have people with this ignorant 'closed drivers = good'
> opinion turning Linux into yet another Windows.  If you want a sh***y
> proprietary OS, there's plenty to choose from already.  Do the rest of
> us a favour and don't advocate turning Linux into yet another one.

	Jeez Dave, think you could insult some more people?  I won't purchase a
firewire device from RME because it's not supported at all.  On the
other hand I will continue to recommend buying NVIDIA video cards at
work for our Linux systems because there is no alternative.  I have to
have 3D acceleration and there is no other choice.  Would you rather I
stopped supporting Linux (drop a couple of hundred Linux systems) where
I work and just let them all use Windoze?  This may be a religion for
you and Marek but it's not for me.  Just as I don't appreciate having
some one bang on my door and tell that I should believe what they
believe I don't like it much in print either.  Your point of view has
been heard, you don't need to be obnoxious about it.

Jan