[linux-audio-dev] anyone interested to develop a new apps ?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Oct 24 11:37:34 UTC 2004

Hallo,
Jan Depner hat gesagt: // Jan Depner wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 18:13, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > It's similar to the fact, that everyone should learn at least one
> > scripting language like Python, Bash or Perl. It's good for the mind
> > and it enables you to create little custom applications instead of
> > waiting for the C developers to write fullblown (and maybe bloated)
> > applications to fulfil these generally very personal needs.
>
> <tongue in cheek>
>
> 	I disagree.  Everyone should learn C and C++ then they wouldn't have to
> wait for the C/C++ developers ;-)  Although, I must admit, I do lapse
> into shell programming on occasion.
>
> </tongue in cheek>

There is an important difference between C/C++ and "scripting
languages" (including Pd): rapid prototyping is much faster with
scripting languages than with C/C++. And Pd and Python are much easier
to learn than C. Pd patches or Python scripts are easier to compile.
I just want people to see, that everything doesn't need to be a
C-application and that they can do a lot of things with much simpler
tools.

Ciao