[linux-audio-dev] anyone interested to develop a new apps ?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Mon Oct 25 06:50:54 UTC 2004

Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> writes:

> I'm actually looking for an alternative edit environment for SC, so I
> can bypass Emacs. I tried Emacs two or three times in the recent past
> just for SC, but then I found, that in Emacs the Backspace or Delete
> key (the C-h one) still didn't work as expected and I said to myself:
> "No, after all these years I'm *not* letting Emacs force me to
> customize the Backspace key in some .emacs file on my own. This is
> just not my job, it's the job of Mr. and Mrs. Emacs. I refuse to do
> this."

No, its actually the job of your distributor to configure programs
such that they work together nicely.  On Debian, I've never had
any backspace issues with Emacs.

> I admit, I wasn't patient at all. ;) Maybe the next time I will hold
> on.

Yeah, that is obvious, since you rant the third time in some weeks about
this issue :-).

I've demonstrated how to run sc code from the command-line.  If you prefer
Vim and stuff, I really dont understand what is now preventing you
from using SC without Emacs.  Its going to be awkward, but hey, thats
what you get for skipping Emacs! :-)  Vi users have to feel the
pain, self-inflicted and all...

Simply edit your .sc file, and if you think it should work, do:

# sclang scfile.sc -

Now you can use stdin to test some additional commands (real-time programming).
If an error occured, go back to your mighty vim and edit the .sc file.

Since I dont use vi very much, I dont really know if
it can run and communicate with external processes.  For a more Vim friendly
interface to SC you'll have to find a Vim expert (if they exist).

--
CYa,
  Mario