[linux-audio-dev] OSC vs MIDI

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Fri Sep 3 06:52:05 UTC 2004

On ons, 2004-09-01 at 21:26, Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 07:48, martin rumori wrote:
> > >
> > > I would say so yes, its possible that an OSC schema spe will be
> > > standardised at soem point that would make it easier.
> >
> > not to mention the microtone-capabilities of your osc sequencer and
> > the sophisticated envelope control functions, which are hard to cover
> > with pure midi...  :-))
>
> Imagine a sequencer where, instead of little straight bars representing
> notes, the 'piano roll' just allowed you to draw a line to represent
> frequency.. with any angle, straight or curved (bezier), etc.  Wow..
>
> Control could be like that too, with overlay and everything, but having
> that for pitch would be amazing.. has something like this ever been done
> before?

Isn't this very similar to drawing the midi-pitchbend? EditTrack did
that in the 80's. You could also draw values for volume and controllers
if you wanted sophisticated envelopes.

IIRC mouse-dragging in the piano-roll would "spray paint" notes all over
the place ... Combine that with a synth patch with very closely spaced
notes and we are getting pretty close to what you are talking about.
Perhaps with a bit of portamento to smooth out the rough edges

/jens