[linux-audio-dev] Re: OSC vs MIDI

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Sep 3 22:16:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 10:32:40 +0200, David Olofson wrote:
> > i never was able to get below a latency nelow 15-20 ms and spikes
> > here and there (if you want run jitter-free i guess you have a
> > latency of 30-50ms or more). i don't know if this is only my setup
> > or if this is normal with bluetooth. for real-time musical
> > controlers it's way to slow. but i guess there are still enough
> > applications were latency doesn't matter.
>
> I've noticed a lot of complaining about bluetooth wireless mice not
> being seriously usable for FPS games and the like.

The main advnatage of bluetooth mice to me would be that I wouldn't need a
USB dongle sticking out of my laptop, I could use the builtin bluetooth
stuff. Not that I use mice very often :)

> I *think* bluetooth should be able to handle the bandwith requirements
> of a mouse (125 Hz frame rate for the MX models, IIRC), but 15-20 ms
> latency spikes would be an issue that cannot be fully compensated for
> regardless of bandwidth. Jitter or delay (buffering to eliminate
> jitter) would cause problems with real time controllers, such as mice
> or musical controllers.

Bluetooth can do realtime ADPCM audio, so a mouse should be no problem.
Maybe HID controllers use a different bit of the protocol?

- Steve