[linux-audio-dev] This better not be patented...

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Sat Sep 4 08:46:47 UTC 2004

On lör, 2004-09-04 at 01:45, Paul Winkler wrote:
> Not sure how many algorithms this makes sense for but
> if it works as advertised for convolution, it would make a
> hell of a reverb.
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040902_135943.html

As of lately, GPUs have turned into very flexible massive
vectorprocessors. Precision is 32bit floats (but you can trade it down
to get more work done) To get at the full 40Gflop potential you'll have
to get both pixel- and vertex shaders going though.

The vertex shaders have hardware trigonometry and logarithms, which
should be useful for just about anything relevant around here.

Pixel shaders scale, multiply and combine arrays ... This sounds like
resampling and mixing? But I havent got the full "picture" yet :)

Current AGP technology is unreliable for realtime work, possibly because
videodrivers are optimized for upstream dataflow.

mvh // Jens M Andreasen

PS: You need not worry about patents for performing an algorithm on a
processor. Especially not when the vendor supplies you with a C-like
languge for doing exactly that.