[linux-audio-dev] futex vs lock-free

Simon Jenkins sjenkins at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Sep 4 16:22:30 UTC 2004

  Tom Schouten wrote:

>i tried the midi-share code in this message from the LAD list:
>
>Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Lock-free LIFO used in MidiShare
>From: Yann Orlarey (orlarey_AT_grame.fr)
>Date: Fri Jul 21 2000 - 17:06:15 EEST *
>
>seems to be a perfect compromise to get at least my mem reuse
>stacks lock free. (i found out in some cases the mutexes here
>take about 50% of the execution time..)
>
>now i was wondering if anyone got a tried-and-true implementation
>for powerpc?

This page:

http://www.audiomulch.com/~rossb/code/lockfree

points to various implementations, including a link to the Yann Orlarey
LAD post you mentioned, and also to much information. One of the
implementations - "lock-free-lib" - is reported to be GPL'd and to cover
Alpha, Mips, ia64, x86, PPC and Sparc.

Simon Jenkins
(Bristol, UK)