[linux-audio-dev] a question re: the MIDI spec

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at chello.se
Wed Sep 8 20:57:02 UTC 2004

On ons, 2004-09-08 at 17:40, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Dave Phillips wrote:
> >   I'm doing some research for an article about Linux MIDI support. In my
> > text I briefly describe the evolution of the MIDI specification since
> > its adoption, mentioning things like MIDI Time Code, MMC, the sample
> > dump standard, and the standard MIDI file. However, one item has me a
> > bit mystified. I'm unable to ascertain whether multi-port interfaces are
> > in fact described and supported by the spec.
>
> SMF files can have the "MIDI Port" meta event (FF 21) to specify the
> port number for the following events.  RP-019 describes the "device
> name" meta event (FF 09) with exactly the same purpose
> (<http://www.midi.org/about-midi/smf/rp019.shtml>), but it isn't used
> in practice.

Dave!

Clemens fine article pointer made me look around in midi.org and (just
for the record) here is the spec for midi over firewire (with multiple
midi-devices):

   http://www.midi.org/about-midi/rp27v10spec(1394).pdf

Mmmm .. Seams like that old elephant in wheelchair got himself a brand
new pair of rollerscaters ;)

mvh // Jens M Andreasen