[linux-audio-dev] Re: Audio synchronization, MIDI API

Andrew Burgess aab at cichlid.com
Sat Sep 11 17:25:53 UTC 2004

>In pratice people dont really demand hard realtime and it will be OK, but
>the maximum time taken to transmit a UDP packet is unbounded, it uses
>exponential backoff IIRC.

That sounds like TCP. I think UDP is send and forget, if you want guaranteed
delivery or sequencing you need a higher protocol like TCP.

Or are you thinking of ethernet level collision detect and retransmit? Does
that go on forever (unbounded)?

(Sorry I know it's an older thread, I'm trying to catch up ;-)